A list from aid workers based in Ile a Vache working with the Mayor's team:
- Food kits (like MREs)
- Water filters
- Tents or tarps
- Medicine for cholera, water borne diseases and malaria etc. (Note: IRG's Medical Director Dr. Peter says that the main treatment for cholera is saline drip for rehydration)
- Aquatabs, painkillers, rehydration serum, antimalarials. Granular chlorine bleach
- First aid supplies to deal with cuts; tetanus; fever; stomach issues and mosquito repellent.
- Many kind of seeds like Melon, beans, tomatoes, papaya, peppers, potatoes. There are no vegetables anywhere to be found near Les Cayes or Ile a Vache bags of dried vegetables are an urgent need.
- Seed-trays (styrofoam segmented) or black seed-sacks to start seedlings, trowels.
- Toiletries, soap, toothpaste, brushes, wet wipes
- Gas powered chain saw (possibly 5)
- Air mattresses (possibly 50) to help in emergency such as this hurricane
- Bed sheets and pillow cases (call hotels and hospitals?)
- Generators (used or new)
- Garden hoses
- School supplies
- Nails (especially rooffing nails)
- Roofing sheets
- Saws, hammers
- Scales to weigh new born babies
- First Aid kits
- Electrical tape
- Pliers, cutters, strippers
- Wirenuts, end fittings for wires
- All components of solar systems
- PVC cement and cleaner
- Rubber cement and anything useful for guttering and water catchment and storage.
- PVC rain parkas
- PVC rubber boots
- MONEY TO SPEND LOCALLY to buy as much as we can and get money/commerce moving.
ROOFING NAILS ARE A VERY HIGH PRIORITY AND A PERFECT BOAT CARGO, HUGH DENSITY AND LOW SPACE.
Long term - money to invest in gardens; seeds; boats and reconstruction support. On our part we would like the communities to have the capacity to rebuild their own lives. We want to reinforce that effort eg. a local carpenter doesn't need a carpenter to come in and do the work for him; he needs capacity to do his job and the resources to allow him earn an income.
PACKING FOR SHIPPING ON IRG BOATS
We try to coordinate accepting cargo one or two days before departing, please note that we fill crew cabins first, meaning that crew get to sleep on deck, on floors etc. until we discharge our cargo in Haiti!
We are accepting relief supplies for two IRG boats (Hollywood, FL) and 2 affiliate IRG Reserve boats (Boot Cay, Marathon, FL), and 2 IRG Reserve boats from Luperon, Dominican Republic, most accepting cargo from approx 8th November.
- We prefer cargo as identified above.
- If we have space available, we can accept misc donations such as clothing, but sneakers, shoes are more vital.
- Please pack clothing in plastic vacuum-pack bags. This compresses the space enormously and cargo space is at a premium.
Our mission includes transporting vital relief supplies to remote island and coastal communities, so we do not charge for this service, but we are all unpaid volunteers who mostly keep the boats running from our own pockets, running these boats is expensive, and sometimes we run out of money so are always grateful for donations! Please share our fundraiser page here: http://www.gofundme.com/StormMatthew